For the past few months, a guardian angel has been watching over our streets, making Brockley a safer, better place for us all. We can't tell you what he's been up to, but be reassured that he has been there for us all, in our darkest hours.
Like Wim Wenders' angels, he eventually grew tired of always observing, never experiencing and decided to sample the best that Brockley and New Cross had to offer. Here are his idiosyncratic highlights from his tireless plodding of Lewisham's mean streets:
I've been doing a lot of work in the area recently and it really surprised me - I'd never thought much of New Cross before, but there are some great streets and some nice local businesses. I was stunned by the houses in Brockley too. Anyway, here are some places your readers might like to know about.
- 257 New Cross Road - its a little shop just on the left before the enty to Sainsbury's, next door to thesecond hand furniture store. It's a Lithianian shop selling all thing Russian, some really unusual alcohol and food, great for christmas presents with a difference, its also a barbers!
- 175 New Cross Road a hairdresser and gift shop owned by an Italian woman called Laura
- 193 New Cross Road - "Curl up and Dry" ladies hairdressers - has been in business for 25 years!
- 316 New Cross Road - The Goldsmiths Tavern, new chef just started!
- 306 New Cross Road - Cafe Crema organic type cafe, live entertainment, bohemian feel.
- 272 New Cross Road - The Hobgoblin, friendly Aussie manager and discounts for students.
- 258 New Cross Road - La Boulangeries nice ambience ,run by Jemal French Algerian lightsnacks. Opposite New Cross Gate Station.
- 301 New Cross Road - S & A Video Mr Hoquethe owner says that they cater for customers that wantsomething different.
- 259 Malpas Road - Tony's Plaice, nice fish and chips
- 257 Malpas Road - Paul's Hairdresser, been in business 45 yrs, has photos of Paul Merson, KevinCampbell and Ian Wright he has cut them all.
- 181 Brockley Road - City Noodle, run by Sally, nice Vietnamese Food
- Tanners Hill - The Royal George, good old fashioned boozer
- 5 Harefield Road - Chez Ecosium, French/Algerian, manager has a good knowledge of football, on leaving overheard two customers say "that was delicious"
- 317 Brockley Road - The Gourmet Inn, Chinese takeaway owner Mr Choy. In the shop on the right wall is a photo of Mr Choy receiving an award from Lord Lichfield in1994.
- 8/9 Coulgate Street - NU Spice, nice lady running it, nice looking food.
- 258 Brockley Road - Brockley Kitchen, shop is dominated by a huge white fridge does a nice line in take away vegetarian food.
That's all for now, I enjoy reading the blog and if I ever won the lottery I'd re-open all the empty shops in Upper Brockley road.
Thanks to our mysterious protector for highlighting so many places which this site has relatively little coverage to. Jon - some more for the map?