Brockley Bowling Club Gate-gate

Kate's article about Brockley Bowling Club's new gate generated a lot of discussion, prompting the woman who commissioned it to get in touch and address some of the points raised. Here's what she says....

I'm responding to comments about the new gate at the bowling club.



I'm Secretary of the club and commissioned the gate. It was designed by three A-level art students from Prendergast School: Helen Vicary, Hannah van den Wijngaard and Hetty Malik, supported by their art teacher, Kathryn Rosse.



They visited the club and sketched bowlers at play. It was constructed by local artist/blacksmith, Heather Burrell, who was also responsible for the gate in Eastern Avenue. It is still to be painted a 'black green'. It was paid for by my father, Richard Tritton, who was Captain of the club from 1997 to 2003. He is now in a care home suffering from dementia. On his behalf, I am using some money he received in a legacy. Both he and his wife, Betty, my mother, gained tremendous pleasure from bowling at the club and this is a way of giving something back.



Tomorrow, Tuesday 3rd June at 3.00pm, there will be a 'Gate Opening' at the club attended by various people who have worked on the gate plus several club members. I hope my father will be able to attend. Hope this answers some of the questions. Best wishes, Jill Jenkins

17 comments:

Brockley Kate said...

Fab stuff, thanks Jill for getting in touch.

Anonymous said...

This is why I love living in Brockley. Thank Jill and best wishes to Mr. Jenkins.

Brockley Nick said...

@Anon - couldn't agree more. And it also shows that a lot of people read the comments that get left on this site, which is why it's often encumbent upon us all to write as though we're talking to the faces of the people we're talking about.

Anonymous said...

Erraratum, I meant to send my best to Mr. Tritton, who generously provided the funding for the gate. But best wishes to Mr Jenkins nonetheless presumably Jill's husband.
I'm off now before I put my foot in it any further...

Tressillian James said...

Private money commissioning art for the area - it's a great idea Jill, and a wonderful way to pay tribute. I'm even more impressed when I learnt it was local 6th formers who designed it - they've done an excellent job

Mara said...

The gate is lovely and the story behind it even more so.

Paddyom said...

How fantastic - well done Jill.

spincat said...

I said in a previous post, having seen picture only, that the gate looks really charming. I've now seen the actual gate and am even more impressed: really well designed and executed. I am touched to read the story behind it

Anonymous said...

I agree, the gate is a lovely addition to the fields. Will it be painted to match the rest of the iron work in the area?

Anonymous said...

It's very nice, and a touching story, but the question of the bowling green and its environs being with the conservation area and subject to those rules and regulations - which I'm sure many readers here will endorse - remains unanswered.

Helen Vicary said...

The Gate Opening today was lovely, thank you so much for the invitation. I feel incredibly priviledged to have been involved in this project, it's been a great experience!

Anonymous said...

Stories like this really make Brockley a great place to live and even help me see past the chicken bones and music blaring curb crawlers. Looking forward to checking out the gate in person.

Tressillian James said...

Anon - I think you'll find, if you read the guidelines posted at the council website, that they don't cover regulations for a bowling green gate. Moreover, if they did, the gate is not out of keeping with the Arts and Crafts style houses at that corner of Hilly Fields crescent and the top of Vicars Hill.

lb said...

As with other things we've discussed here, it comes down to permitted development rules. Gates within or outside the curtilage of a dwelling, and within a certain size, are usually allowed under this, but within a Conservation Area permitted development rights do not automatically apply so you should always check with the local planning department first.

Hannah said...

Clearly if they'd wanted to not offend to The Conversation Area Rules then they should have kept the old gate. However, whilst they kept to the regulations, they weren't exactly aesthetically pleasing..

A said...

Anon, you're being churlish. I can't imagine that such beautifully crafted gates would be breaching any conservation area guidelines. You sound rather bitter. I expect these gates would be regarded as a positive addition to the conservation area.

Tom said...

Those criticising are not just being churlish, but mean-spirited to boot!

Lovely gates, a great thing to do and hope the weather wasn't too awful on the grand opening.

Brockley Central Label Cloud