Homicide: life on the tweet - the murder map of London

There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continues to elude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.

- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho

This is not an exercise designed to enlighten.

We've been contacted by a few readers about the online London murder map, which promises to be the definitive guide to homicide in the capital.

It comes with this nauseating cod-sociological blurb:

We hope to provide greater insight into this most destructive of human acts.

Free from Government bureaucracy or political agendas, the site goes beyond bare statistics to provide the stories behind crime figures.

Murder Map is an ever evolving project, whose scope stretches into the future as well as the past, and the database will constantly be updated with new cases, so the picture it creates is as complete as possible.

What truths this picture will reveal, or what conclusions can be drawn from it, is up to the users of the site.

Murder Map is intended to be a forum for ideas about criminal justice and social policy as well as a valuable resource for anyone interested in tackling the dangers faced by Londoners today.

Basically, it seems mainly to have been built for the sort of person who buys part work magazines that build week-by-week to give you unparalleled insight in to the mind of a serial killer. But still, it exists. And the level of interest it's produced on Twitter is strong. And we are weak.

Not sure what, if anything, it tells us about our patch, except that it's not as bad as some, but worse than others.

23 comments:

drakefell debaser said...

It is rather pants.

The Baltimore Sun newspaper has a proper one which breaks down the district, age, race and cause of death.

http://ow.ly/2DPFJ

Matt-Z said...

It seems we're safe from death by ligature in SE4. Phew.

Lloyd said...

Rather repulsive, isn't it? Although to be honest, at South London Post I've found myself having to write about shootings and such again, even though back in July when we looked at Murder Map I said we wouldn't do it. Three shootings in the last week seem to require some attention. But not of this ridiculously sham-fisted kind.

Monkeyboy said...

....but you can't help looking. We're a goulish bunch. I remember when a number of denis nelsons victims were found in the next road to me in muswell hill when I were a lad. Everyone at school claimed some special knowledge of the crime.

patrick said...

is that opening line meant to be "this is not an exit"?

THNick said...

Hmm, lovely idea. And I like the way they don't seem to have covered any arsons but have included the poisoned umbrella murder of Georgi Markov.

Brockley Nick said...

@Patrick - yes. And by the way, Homicide Life on the Street is better than The Wire! Who's with me?!

Monkeyboy said...

.....tumbleweed.....

By the way, I've said once I'll say it again, Hugh IS patrick Bateman. The obsession with status, money and material things. The narcisim, the arrogance. It's all there.

Of course by the end we realised that he wasn't describing a serial killer at all but rather commentating on an empty superficial life, a man on the edge of breakdown. Nice bussiness cards though

Is Hugh fu**king with us?

Monkeyboy said...

.....tumbleweed.....

By the way, I've said once I'll say it again, Hugh IS patrick Bateman. The obsession with status, money and material things. The narcisim, the arrogance. It's all there.

Of course by the end we realised that he wasn't describing a serial killer at all but rather commentating on an empty superficial life, a man on the edge of breakdown. Nice bussiness cards though

Is Hugh fu**king with us?

drakefell debaser said...

It's a close one. I watched Homicide when it came out and loved it but, when I bought it again after watching the Wire and I struggled to get into it.

I think I was still in mourning over the loss of Omar at the time.

Sherlock said...

Are we really expected to believe that no bombs have actually claimed lives in London?

mg said...

I dunno, HLotS was one of the first tv shows I truly obsessed over and I've just started watching it again from the beginning but the Wire is a cut above everything. Just finishing up S4 (thanks, by the way, DD! my own fault for rationing myself)and the scenes between Omar and Prop Joe are practically Shakespearian, the dialogue is so juicy. Anyone remember Oz? Quality ultraviolence.

Brockley Jon said...

For me, it brings home the amount of murders that remain unsolved, where police seemingly have nothing to go on.

If all the map does is remind people that gun & knife crime is a real problem then it's worthwhile.

The Baltimore one is much more useful though as it brings in the demographics.

drakefell debaser said...

Sheeeeeiiit!

Sorry mg. What I meant was the end of the show as a whole and thus the death of Omar and the whole cast....

Anyone got a larger shovel?

drakefell debaser said...

Sherlock, I wondered about that too.

Also, what does murder by 'none' entail?

Brockley Nick said...

@DD "what does murder by 'none' entail?"

Stabbed with an icicle that subsequently melted?

The murder weapon was a frozen leg of lamp which was then eaten by the investigating officers?

drakefell debaser said...

Or, perhaps Lady Gaga nicked the leg of lamb and made a blouse out of it before the forensics arrived.

Brockley Nick said...

Topical!

Peter (murdermap) said...

Comments noted.

Just thought I'd say we do break the murders down by borough, age, sex, nationality, weapon, general category etc, although this is not reflected in the map at present (it's something we're working on).

We've only put on cases back to 2007 so far (plus a few more famous ones from the past), which explains the lack of bomb deaths.

Arson is covered by 'other' at the moment. We are looking into creating a separate arson category.

Personally I think the best homicide map in the US is the LA Times version http://projects.latimes.com/homicide/map/

Peter (again) said...

Murder by 'none' is no weapon, as in punches, kicks etc (or pushing down the stairs, throwing off a cliff)

Brockley Nick said...

Don't spoil it peter ;)

Monkeyboy said...

Nice to have a hobby.

Brockley Jon said...

@Peter, thanks for coming on and commenting. Are you planning to add other cities (I'm assuming people do get murdered in the north, and not just in London?). I would say keep up the good work, but, well er you know what I mean.

Latest Tweets

Brockley Central Label Cloud

Click one of the labels below to see all posts on that subject. The bigger the label, the more posts there are!