The Songs of the Oak


Christina Carty [left] has been in touch to tell us about her new Honor Oak choir:

I have recently started a new choir called "SING IT BACK!" that meets every Tuesday evening at The Honor Oak pub. We focus on singing funk, soul, mashups and classic pop and are nothing like the big name/mainstream choirs around - we're relaxed and extremely friendly. See more details on www.singitback.org

I chose the Honor Oak because it was much friendlier than a church hall - I wanted the choir to feel like a social gathering where people could make friends and relax. People turn up and have a natter and a drink (which they are welcome to bring in with them) before they start. The room at the back of the pub is just the right size too - roomy but still with a very warm feel. And I am fairly local - I live in Hither Green.

Sing It Back started on the 17th May so we are still very new. So far we have covered songs such as the "Umbrella/Singing in the Rain" mashup from Glee and Adele's "Make You Feel My Love". We have also done mashups of my own creation - Chic's "Good Times" vs Luther Van Dross's "Never Too Much" and KC's "That's The Way (I Like It) vs "I Believe in Miracles" by the Jackson Sisters. This week we'll be doing "This Charming Man" by The Smiths. As you can see, not your usual style of choir!