The BC bag competition - answers so far are a load of sloblock [UPDATED]


The answer to our competition question is more obvious than some of you imagine 

In spite of your best efforts, we still haven't found a winner for the I Broccoli Brockley bag competition. The winner is the person who guesses what item we have in our hypothetical bag. The long list of entries contained a lot of 'broccolis' (too obvious), random items (like mugs), or hyper-specific suggestions (like 2kg desiree potatoes). So here's a clue: the item in question has its roots in the history of Brockley.

And here is a list of what is not in our bag, based on previous suggestions:

Loaf of bread, Broccoli Baguette, Broccoli Brownies, Muffins, Cake, Coffee from Browns, Broccoli, Large Lamb Donner from Gulen's, Broccoli Soup, a cat (?), Ipad, Leeks, cauliflower, pumpkin, peppers, spinach, carrots, Syringes, 2kgs of red desiree potatoes (admirably specific), an unusual and on the face of it naff gift from Sounds Around but which you know will be just what the recipient would love to get (likewise), Dodgeball, a mug, cheese, a book.


If you think you now know what's in the bag. email email Simon with your answer at this address. First correct guess gets the bag and the respect of Brockley Central.


UPDATE: We now have a winner. Tabitha was the first to correctly guess that the hypothetical item in the hypothetical bag was a stick of rhubarb. Brockley achieved fame by pioneering the growth of "enormous" rhubarb (fed with human excrement) for use as a foodstuff. Please stop emailing Simon with your answers, he is being overwhelmed!

19 comments:

Keep Badgering said...

I have guessed that it is a Badger as I believe Brock-ley basically means field of badgers.

Which makes me think of field of dreams but with badgers instead of baseball...

Anonymous said...

I thought it was either a badger or the Rivoli ballroom. Not sure how big those bags are.

Badgerbag said...

Ooh I guessed a badger too. Rhubarb was another option...

Tamsin said...

Could be a baby badger - when they are all cute and cuddly before they grow up and become curmudgeonly and cantakerous. (And smelly.)

I had suggested a dead badger (less risk of being bitten) and/or rhubarb. If we're both right it might be down to the specifics and the time of the e-mails. "History" and "roots" gave a bit of a nudge to the brain.

Matt-Z said...

A signed copy of Blogging for Dummies?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blogging-Dummies-Brad-Hill/dp/0471770841/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320669660&sr=1-8

Mr Breakspears said...

It is blatant people just looked at Brockley on wikipedia after the history clue came up. I did too. I sent my guess of 'rhubarb' at 11.20am.

Tom said...

(not so) random history guesses: a canal boat; a telegraph pole; garlic; quaker's oats.

Tom said...

(not so) random history guesses: a canal boat; a telegraph pole; garlic; quaker's oats.

Tamsin said...

Telegraph Pole? Don't you mean a fully working semaphore station, complete with two men and an invalided out half pay officer?

Quaker's Oats beats me - I don't know that connection...

mintness said...

Is it Rosie Barnes?

Anonymous said...

Rubarb

Keep Badgering said...

@ Mr Brakespeares:

I did guess Badger without wikipedia'ing it

(My friend is known as the Badger because his surname is Brock). I'm from Bromley originally which is so called after Broome (a type of tree apparently)on the Ley (field)...

It was only after submitting my guess that I sneaked a peak at Wikipedia - who would have known that Dick Turpin drank at the Brockley Jack - fascinating...

Is it Dick Turpin in the bag!

Anonymous said...

Mung beans?

mikey said...

soil, i reckon.

Tamsin said...

You mean the "night soil" being brought to Brockley to grow the amazing rhubarb?

Ian on the Hill said...

I assumed opium.

The Brockley and New Cross Bag Co said...

Thanks everyone for taking part and well done Tabitha! If you missed out you can still get a bag from Browns of Brockley for £4.50 or send me a message and I'll deliver you one.

Cheers!

Simon

Anonymous said...

yay for me :) I'm happy that at least one piece of information I learnt at Myatt Gardens has stuck in my brain!

Tamsin said...

@ Tom - enlightenment on the Quaker Oats connection..?

But to boast a just little bit - I was beaten to the answer by a couple of minutes, I also knew it was Mr Myatt (although I initially misremembered it as Myott) and I didn't use the internet. But well done Tabitha - I've got too many of your festival bags (if it's the same Tabitha) to actually need a Brockley one.

Brockley Central Label Cloud