With Jam and Bread, Lee

The Times today has a "how to" guide for budding cafe entrepreneurs, written by Jennie Milsom, the founder of With Jam and Bread, the Hither Green coffee shop (386 Lee High Road). Jennie writes:

I had been writing a book about London’s quirky coffee shops when I walked past the empty shop near my house that I’d been waiting for someone to turn into a café. A “To Let” sign had appeared in the window. The penny dropped: that someone was me... So started Project Café. 

OK, so I was more qualified than the average rookie. I’d worked in cafés and restaurant kitchens. And through writing the book, I’d researched the gamut of the capital’s coffee emporia — from The Deptford Project’s Off the Rails Café, a converted 1960s railway carriage on the south side of the city, to Look Mum No Hands!, a café-cum-bike workshop north of the river — while picking up key advice from London’s top café-owners. 

I’d spent months holed up writing the book at the communal table in Browns of Brockley, inhaling air as rich in coffee as the chatter around me. But, I soon discovered, there were many more lessons I needed to learn before I could launch With Jam and Bread, my own café in southeast London.

It's great to learn that the Brockley's invisible hand was once again at the centre of something good and it's more anecdotal evidence that good local businesses inspire more local entrepreneurs, creating a virtuous circle of South East London ambition.

16 comments:

SE12 person said...

Isn't it the Lee Green coffee shop?

? said...

I wold think they know what their own shop is called.

SE6 person said...

Yes, but people slip up- see your post.

Lee Green, yes.

Anonymous said...

Do they do a decent fried breakfast?

Anonymous said...

nick, why do you keep linking articles to the times website. unless you have a subscritption, the link doesn't work. do you work for the times or something?

Anonymous said...

Maybe the article he's referring to was in The Times?

Dunno, just a thought.

Brockley Nick said...

Because it's customary to link to the source and The Times is the source!

Anonymous said...

It's on Lee High Road...that's not Hither Green...

Anonymous said...

Hither Green is the new Blackheath.

mike said...

The link is behind a Murdoch paywall so I think it would be good practice to not link to these articles as a matter of principle. The interent is for the free exchange of information and ideas and we should actively oppose any threat to that. The cafe owner is the original source (and owner) of the information NOT the Times.

Sofa Revolution said...

...or simply not click it or allow people to decide for themselves whether they pay for access to the source material.

Anonymous said...

....and if the Times paid for article then they do, to some extent, own the content. Publish it on your own website and give people free access, it's up to the author. Books are 'behind a paywall' in that we choose to pay for access. Other papers have different financial models, advertising etc.

Having said that, Murdoch is a knobend.

hardlianotion said...

I sincerely hope the cafe sells jam and bread. A sad neglect at nearly every establishment.

Anonymous said...

@Hardlinotion. I agree. And toasted tea-cakes, hot buttered crumpets and anchovy toast.

Anonymous said...

And real cafe food.

Anonymous said...

They do nice jam and bread, and toast. They are not allowed to do hot cooking because of the usage class thing (A3 etc.)so soups, sandwiches, toasties and cakes. Good coffee and I don't mind the lack of full english, there is a place just down the road doing that.

Latest Tweets

Brockley Central Label Cloud

Click one of the labels below to see all posts on that subject. The bigger the label, the more posts there are!