In memory of Sean McGill

Lep Recorn has investigated a tragic piece of local history. He writes:

In the Brockley sorting office public area where packets and parcels are collected, there is a plaque “In memory of Sean McGill died 30. 10. 92. Aged 22.”

The 30th October 1992 was a Friday. Sean McGill was a postman and gave a colleague a lift home to Nunhead. He was driving a post office Bedford van with sliding doors, and was not wearing a seat belt. As he returned from Nunhead driving over the railway bridge on St Asaph’s Road he lost control of the van on the bend. He was thrown from the van and crushed to death by it as it rolled over him.

11 comments:

Ewhursty said...

Ah, I have always read that plaque in the sorting office when I'm waiting for a parcel, and always wondered about it. So young! Thanks for investigating.

Tressilliana said...

Sean's parents still live locally, I understand. Very sad.

Fattyfattybumbum said...

God bless him.

Anonymous said...

Yes they do. I rented my first place in Brockley from them. A lovely family.

Anonymous said...

I remember Sean very well, he was always happy and friendly, everybody liked him. It was a terrible incident, such a waste.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us know, I also always wondered about the plaque, how awful.

headhunter said...

I wondered what that plaque was all about... Poor chap. I did a fully supported bike ride from London to Paris in the summer, we had support mechanics following the peleton in vans, they were to be in the back of the van fixing bikes with the sliding doors open and at 1 point our mechanic fell out of the van as we rounded a corner and slammed up against a wall... Amazingly he was only a bit bruised...

Anonymous said...

Was a sad day for all us postmen he is still remembered at this time of year especially.

Anonymous said...

His family does still live locally - last Sunday's 11.30am mass at St Mary Magdelenes Church was deidcated to his memory.

His family were in attendance.

Thomas Hardy said...

Thanks for posting this - I too had seen the plaque. When I asked in the sorting office, the staff member I spoke to didn't know anything other than what was said on the plaque, and I couldn't find anything on the web.

Anne said...

I always wondered about this as well. I have a cousin with the same name so each time I see I think of him.

Brockley Central Label Cloud

Click one of the labels below to see all posts on that subject. The bigger the label, the more posts there are!