One of BC's neighbours is a former writer for Metro. No wonder the guy got out.
Metro's editorial team have put their heads together and come up with this list of London boroughs, ranked from worst to best, in their opinion. Lewisham comes 28th, beating only the boroughs that got no votes - including Kingston, Havering, Bexley and Redbridge.
Now, not even Metro is taking this list seriously, but house prices being equal, it would be hard to make the case that Lewisham deserves to be ranked above Camden, Islington, Kensington & Chelsea, Westminster or even Southwark. Beyond these ones though, Lewisham can hold its head up alongside a host of other boroughs:
- Hackney? Cool, but dirty and often inaccessible. See also: Haringey
- Richmond, Wandsworth and Merton? Handsome but stiff and monocultural
- Barnet? Far too far out and not worth the bother
- Tower Hamlets? Too many flats, too many elaborate road systems
- Hammersmith & Fulham? Surely London's most overrated borough
Lewisham is an underwhelming place to visit, but an amazing place to live.
Most importantly, BC has just spent the last week outside the London bubble and therefore feels obligated to point out that all 32 London boroughs are the real winners.
Thanks to Patrick for the heads up.