Degustation for sale

Devastation! Coulgate Street's brilliant French deli Degustation is up for sale. Owner Augustin writes:

My endeavours have taken me abroad and although I am very attached to Degustation, which I set up in 2007 and have grown over the years with the help of Lila and Laurence, I have realised that I cannot continue to run it from afar. It's not fair on the customers and not fair on the team! 

I have just renewed the lease on 12 Coulgate Street for 5 years and I would like to sell it on as a going concern. I am available on this email for any questions or enquiry. Since I started the business in 2007 its growth has been steady and it still has a lot of potential for development despite being more than sound. It is time I let go and give someone else the opportunity to bring some fresh and new to Degustation. 

In the mean time, it is business as usual!

Though it's sad news, it's good to see a local high street business be offered for sale, rather than clung on to by someone without the time, resources or focus it needs.

Degustation was one of the very first good new high street businesses that opened in the Brockley Central era. At the time it opened, it seemed improbable that an area like this might attract a shop like it - today, it is one of a handful of good local delis, catering for proven local demand.

12 comments:

jake berger said...

Noooooooooooooooo!

Someone must do the right thing.


Please!

terrencetrentderby said...

Always wondered what that place was. Is the wine good?

Headhunter said...

Yeah that is a shame... I hope it keeps going. I remember all the excitement (and debate over gentrification) when it 1st opened just after I moved to Brockers....

Brockley Jon said...

Maybe one of the staff could take it on. It would be cool if the lovely French lady got to take over - Lila, I presume?

bon vivant said...

The staff there are lovely and very helpful. A great source of advice and recommendations regarding French food and wine. I hope it continues in the same way.

anonymous said...

Don't want to sound like a downer but whenever I've been in there, it's always felt a bit lacking in product. Hopefully this is a chance for someone to take over a build on what is already there as it defintely has much more potential. In the meantime, head to "The Allotment" on New Cross road. I started going there recently and cannot rate it highly enough.

Brockley Bob said...

I think Degustation is fantastic for picking up the occasional bit of wine/cheese/chocolate but like yourself feel like it could do more. Especially considering its location attracting people coming home from work. Would be great to have it just add a few lines that would mean you could assemble a dinner that didn't consist of just cheese and crackers. I basically want to stop having to cross over to Costcutters to get veg/meat on the way home (because of both laziness and desire to support local shops etc.)


We moved to Brockley from NCG last year and were always in The Allotment. Good fresh bread/meat/veg/pasta etc, meant you didn't have to go to Sainsburys all the time. I think something similar would do well in Brockley.


I appreciate its a small place and its independently owned so therefore probably working on small margins but I think if it did more everyday things and less Absinthe tartes then it would be very popular. Perhaps that fella from the other week who wanted to open a shop in Brockley could take it on and make it more like what I want, which is what's most important after all.

Brockley Bob said...

yep

Greenie said...

Yep, I am in agreement. While sad news and horrible uncertainty for staff, let's see it as an opportunity. The Brockley community love having Degustation and the lovely Laurence & Lila who introduced me to less known delicacies like Maroille cheese (though my waistline doth protest). The store should be heralded as one of the first decent 'facelift' shops to the area and we need to keep its legacy alive! Who wants to revert back to 'Heritage' cold meats ( if it is even meat) ?! Get NETWORKING everyone! I already have sent the word out to one of London's new budding F&B retail entrepreneurs / chef/ writer. Who is engorged with similar contacts. Let's hope it can be snapped up and ran with the same drive and gusto. Save it and make it even better :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with this. Been in a few times and never bought anything. Very small range, including a load of overpriced products from French supermarkets. Think it could be good, if they sold more stuff.

Monkeyboy said...

It is tiny though and no storage space of any size that I can see? I use it for treats and if I want posh bread occasionally. The size will always limit things, unless they forget the booze? Is it really big enough for both? A bit of extra shelf space may help. Quibbles though, on balance is a defo plus in my books.

Tamsin said...

Isn't Costcutters a franchise and so, by one definition a "local shop"?

Brockley Central Label Cloud