Babur bags best nosh award

After a top-notch trip to Babur over the weekend, BC can heartily agree with Harden's restaurant guide, which has named the Brockley Rise establishment as its 'best inexpensive restaurant' for 2009. 'You just don’t expect restaurants of this quality deep in SE London suburbia', according to the Harden's website.

Well I don't know about the Harden's reviewer but us Brockley residents are obviously spoilt - we've certainly got used to having Babur around. It's the consistency of its excellence which is the key - no slip-ups in the service, quality of food, or surroundings (in contrast to so many places whose bathroom facilities leave a lot to be desired, Babur's are so nice I'd be quite happy to settle in there surrounded by the lovely orchids and wooden carvings for the rest of the evening!). The wine list was impressive (and reasonably priced) and in helping to match drinks to dishes they were enthusiastic rather than patronising (as is unfortunately so often the case).

Special mention must be made of the puddings: the home-made kulfi, ice creams AND sorbets were all delicious (fortunately, being part of a group, I didn't have to order them all for myself!).

And the final touch - they send me a birthday card every year. It's this kind of thought for detail which has turned some of their customers into their best form of advertising; every time I go there I leave feeling a little bit evangelical about the place.

15 comments:

quick brown fox said...

I'm ashamed to say that having lived in Brockers for more than 5 years I still haven't been to Babur. Nor Meze Mangal. Particularly poor going given the lack of decent restaurants locally. My New Year's resolutions will include giving them both a go by the end of January.

fabhat said...

Both Babur and Meze Mangal are great. I'd recommend adding le querce and cinnamon to your list - also excellent local places.

nobbly brick said...

Top restaurant, we're spoilt having it there

Richard said...

Haven't been for months, but great restaurant, never, ever disappointed, except when I've tried the ginger ice cream (no fault of theirs - just turns out my taste buds despise it)

Monkeyboy said...

I get a birthday card and I hope to get an invite to their kids graduation as I probably put them through university by ordering takaways.

Remember though, their takaway is not the restaurant - it's my fav takaway but not a patch on the restaurant.

Jackie said...

I agree, Babur is one of the places I really missed when I left Brockley.

The Cat Man said...

I've only had takaways, isn't the food the same quality though? I've picked up before and got the impression that the takaway kitchen often shipped food over to the restaurant.

Pete said...

A great restaurant.

Also should commend Richard on Jam Circus' Roast Beef of which I partook on Sunday, very nice.

Hugh said...

As noted by Hugh when BC first began. Pity it's nowhere near Brockley.

Monkeyboy said...

Gosh you are contrary, it's hardly a stretch to go there. I've used it and I'm in Malpas Road.

nobbly brick said...

Speedicars is a cab company in Brockley Hugh, and their sole purpose it to transport people (and goods) from A to B and possibly back again.

Richard said...

Thank you Pete, I'll pass that to the chef.

brockley mutha said...

i agree - it is superb. And yes - takeaway is good, but not a patch on the restaurant, which is in a class of its own.

Anonymous said...

already an advocate of cinnamon, will give this a go. Do they do chicken tikka massala?

Not sure where speedicars is, do they have a sign?

Anonymous said...

I've tried cinnamon a couple of times now. Always found it a bit average to be honest, Babur all the way.

Latest Tweets

Brockley Central Label Cloud

Click one of the labels below to see all posts on that subject. The bigger the label, the more posts there are!