60 Manor Avenue, February 4th, 7pm
Developers are planning to turn the former United Services Club at 60 Manor Avenue into a nursery, providing places for 64 children. Some local residents have organised a campaign in protest at the scheme, which they fear could place severe demands on the local roads. A meeting will be held on site at 7pm tonight to discuss the situation.
Our natural inclination is to wish new enterprise and investment in Brockley well, especially when it provides facilities for young families. We also dislike the reflexive negativity that often infects local protest groups, which are often composed of the kinds of people who would have found fault with the invention of fire or the wheel had they been around at the time.
However, in this case, we believe the protestors have a point. Manor Avenue is ludicrously clogged with parked cars already and the roads surrounding the station are also increasingly jammed. They are right to raise concerns about the extra demand for parking likely to be created by the centre's 18 full-time staff and non-resident parents who may drive to Brockley in search of a nursery in zone 2.
We think the development also poses a wider question about parking around Brockley Station - a subject which we plan to return to in the near future.
Top 10 Most Read Articles
- The Job Centre - Creating work for the outraged
- South East London tradespeople recommendations
- The Unacceptable Face of Newisham
- Lewisham braced for tailbacks as Gateway construction begins in earnest
- 133 Pepys Road
- Bogs signal balloons have gone up at 180 Brockley Road
- A Rox for all your houses
- Broken Tree
- Number One Mantle Road nears completion
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (700)
- ► 2012 (841)
- ► 2011 (855)
- ► 2010 (775)
- Brockley Station - The Future
- Sim City: Bakerloo Line Edition
- Lewisham publishes the North Deptford consultation...
- The pictures they didn't want you to see
- The Standard: trains are crowded
- Fire Engines at the Barge
- Yoga in Brockley
- New pub "The Telegraph" opens on Thursday
- If Brockley must have bollards...
- Mass transit porn
- The new Lewisham College
- Free cash for Brockley
- Men of Honor
- Deutsche Bank launches good cause fund for Lewisha...
- BXAG AGM March 17th
- Brockley Central on Londonist
- New Cross poll of poles
- Brockley MAX - May 29th - June 6th 2009
- Chickens circle Brockley
- Mosaic meeting off
- Horniman a cut above the rest for Valentine's
- In praise of binmen
- Brockley artist network
- ELL2 gets go-ahead
- Suburban Bookie Perspective: Portland Bookmakers, ...
- Railway tree-felling petition
- KFH: Brockley housing market report
- Crofton Park ward assembly report
- Everything you wanted to know about sax but were a...
- Magi on the move
- Lewisham Bridge School planning application
- Rotherhithe - Canary Wharf bridge scrapped
- The wrong kind of snow
- Brockley Business: who do you love?
- Brockley music past and present
- Brockley Station: Officially overcrowded
- Brockley trains overcrowded: official
- Twitter - 53 people can't be wrong
- Frendsbury Gardens Mosaic Workshop
- Nursery planned for Manor Avenue - public meeting
- Lewisham Council screws the pooch
- Lost paws
- Countdown conundrum
- The day the earth stood snowy part 2
- The day the earth stood snowy
- The right kind of snow part 2
- The right kind of snow
- ▼ February (49)
- ► 2008 (454)