Creative Mums Network in Brockley

Brockley Central is always happy to receive a guest column, even if they come from friends and family. This is from Nicola:

Are there any BC readers interested in joining a creative mums network?

I'm a TV producer and mother to 2 young children living in Brockley. After the birth of my daughter last year, I decided to give up my staff job at the BBC to go freelance, partly because I decided it would better suit family life. What I hadn't reckoned on was that, without anyone to bounce ideas off combined with the the fact that motherhood often left me feeling pretty detached from the outside world, I felt stripped of any creative urges I may have had previously.

Most creative industries strive on youth and enthusiasm and you're often left wondering where people go to once they reach 35. The truth is, it's hard to combine a creative career with motherhood; the hours can be long and the work can be physically and mentally demanding. It's easy to succumb to negative thoughts and give up and do something less challenging, without properly realising that we've still got a lot to offer, not to mention years of experience.

The idea for the network came about after discussing these points with friends in similar situations and realising that most of us had the same fears and anxieties. The support that can be gained from those who are in or have been in similar situations can be invaluable.

'Creative Mums' will offer support, advice, networking opportunities and hopefully inspiration to mothers working or involved in creative industries.I'm particularly interested in meeting with any interested local mums and this stage, while the network is beginning to take shape - if you're interested in getting involved please email me.

Alternatively, you could join my Facebook group or follow me on Twitter to keep abreast of the network as it develops.