Crofton Park - the breakaway state

Oliver Rose: I think you owe me a solid reason. I worked my ass off for you and the kids to have a nice life and you owe me a reason that makes sense. I want to hear it. 
Barbara Rose: Because. When I watch you eat. When I see you asleep. When I look at you lately, I just want to smash your face in. 
- The War of the Roses

Is the break-up of the Union inevitable? Are we better off together, stronger together and safer together? Does central Brockley really have more in common with the Nordic states of Surrey Docks, Rotherhithe and Bermondsey than it does with the shires of Crofton Park? These are the most important questions in the 300 year history of Greater Brockley.

Brockley Kate sent us the latest proposed Parliamentary constituency boundary for "Deptford and Rotherhithe" (above), which would sever Brockley ward's historic ties to Crofton Park and create an 'Arc of Prosperity' to the north.

As she notes, although it's unlikely to change the political map much (this new constituency would almost certainly be a Labour stronghold) it would have profound symbolic significance, connecting us much more with inner London. areas with a more extreme social mix of poor estates and rich areas dominated by loft-conversions and new-build apartments. It would also acknowledge the importance of the river to the area's development.

She says:

All in all, this would be a massive vivisection of Lewisham I'd suggest. Shifting 'central' Brockley, St Johns & Telegraph Hill towards central London, but retiring Crofton Park to the outer zone. Radical.