The Brockley Fun Run – 10am, April 27th, 2008

A 5km Hilly Fields Fun Run will launch this year’s Brockley Summer Season.

The goal is to attract 300 runners, though up to 500 could take part. The hope is that this will become an annual fixture in Brockley’s calendar, to sit alongside the MAX, the Summer Fayre, Open Studios, Hillaballoo and the Blythe Hill Fesitval.
Event organisers and newly-elected BXAG Trustees, Erin Essex and Rob Taylor, have been working on their plans for a fun run for nearly three years and have recruited a professional race organiser to help make it a reality. The money awarded from the 2007 Localities Fund was a vital piece of the jigsaw, as was the support of the BXAG.
Now, with the funds raised, the necessary health and safety boxes ticked and permission from the Council secured, it’s actually happening.
Speaking at the BXAG Annual General Meeting, Erin said:
“The Fun Run will be a great way to bring the community together and a natural high for runners taking part. All the profits will go towards the Brockley Common project.
“We’ve walked the course in an hour, so pretty much anyone can take part – runners who cross the finish line all get a T-shirt and a medal. Even if you can’t run the course, we’d like as many people as possible to turn up to show their support.
“We’ve already signed up a lot of people, from serious runners to a couple who are planning to run the course in sumo suits. It really is for everyone.”
Given the number of cyclists, joggers and cat-walkers this site can boast among its readership, we hope that a good number of Brockley Central readers will sign up.
The cost of entry is £12, £9 for concessions and free for Under-12s (+£5 for a T-shirt).
You can also pick up a registration pack from The Broca coffee shop (4 Coulgate Street, Brockley, SE4 2RW) or register on-line at www.runnersworld.co.uk
The Fun Run is the kind of community activism that Brockley Central likes best. Like the New York Seed Bombers (who decided to turn ugly scraps of land around their neighbourhood in to floral idyll’s with liberal sprinklings of seeds), Erin and Rob had an idea to make something better, decided to do something about it themselves and stuck at it.
Congratulations to everyone, including the team at Lewisham Council, who helped to make this a reality.
We’ll be covering the build up to the Fun Run in the coming weeks.

16 comments:

violetnights said...

Ohhh sounds good!

I'm game!

Brockley Jon said...

I'll get those Brockley Central T-shirts printed up then, Nick :)

andy pandy pudding & pie said...

does my cat have to pay?

Kate said...

yay!!!

Graeme said...

Hope the woman who ordered her Jack Russells to attack me when I was running in the cemetary last week won't be around. For her sake.

andy pandy pudding & pie said...

she ordered her dog to attack you? what were you doing? Were you running naked?

Graeme said...

She didn't hear me as I approached on one of the paths. (I'd already slowed down for the dogs and was shouting "coming through!"). She jumped out of her skin as I went past, and as I turned to catch her eye to apologise for surprising her, she layed into me, verbally. I then exhorted her, in no uncertain terms, to go forth and multiply, after which she ordered the canine attack. Looking back, it was quite comical as I started to defend myself by first snarling back at the dogs and running towards them. When that failed, I began to fend them off forcefully with my feet, with crazy woman now getting upset that I was kicking her dogs (I wasn't going to stand there and get bitten m'lud)! Then I realised that it was getting silly and so I ran off.

I've met quite a few of the dogs and their owners previously while running in the cemetary, and have never had a problem with them, but this woman appeared to be a bit low on her 'meds', and unstable, so she's probably best avoided for the time being. Unless I bump into her accidently and inform her that her actions constitute criminal behaviour. (Do they?)

andy pandy pudding & pie said...

I bet she had a chip on her shoulder.. I bet she was the type of person to 'big it up' and 'av an attitude' right?

Graeme said...

Yes, in the way that some unconfident people feel they have to assert themselves at every opportunity. Judging by her appearance (which I don't really want to go into), expression, and her inappropriate anger, I'd say she had a personality disorder/minor pyschosis.

Her dogs were actually quite sweet though (when they weren't going for my legs)!

Anyway, I'll be joining the Hilly Fields jogging fraternity for the time being. (Phew - managed to steer the thread back on course!)

Kate said...

Don't worry Graeme, we'll have strength in numbers. Normally-feisty dog-owners (and dogs) will quake as we stampede past in our hundreds ...

On a serious note, is there any info available about the route of the run?

Headhunter said...

Graeme, I've never been set on by dogs whilst out running and actually I'm impressed that this woman's dogs were so well trained that they actually launched an attack on her command - in my experience most people can't control their dogs for love nor money!

I have often been out running and invariably find that I end up running up behind a woman on a dark track who is listening to an i-pod or whatever and subsequently completely unable to hear my approach and then either jumps out of her skin or launches into some defensive attack.

I implore women and men for that matter, unplug your i-pods whilst you walk alone along quiet paths and save us both some hassle!

veggiegirl said...

This link http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=42442

goes straight to the online entry at Runners World.

The route is described as hilly and multiple laps but no more details.

Really looking forward to this - I hope it will be a great success & that it turns into an annual event.

Tom said...

I'll be doing this and will be showing off my new Brockley t-shirt! (A gift from a very understanding girlfriend!).

I'm presuming the run will be around Hilly Fields, which could make for some pretty steep climbs ...

Headhunter said...

Wow sounds like we could almost get a team together...! I might give it ago! Did the London City 5k last year in 18 mins 19 secs... Gotta beat the personal best...

Amanda said...

4k, oh dear looks like I'll have to walk round. I used to represent the school at the Borough Sports for 800m I couldn't even fathom doing the 1500m.

Richard said...

Can I turn up and sign up on the day? I hadn't committed to running due to an uncertain work schedule that means I start at 11.30 most Sundays, but it was helpfully pointed out to me the run was at 10am, so I could head straight to work after! Followed by, in not so many words, 'you lazy git'.

Please support BC by clicking here when you shop with Amazon

Brockley Central Label Cloud