Dawn Chorus 2013

Tom from the Hilly Fields Bird Champion project writes:

This years dawn chorus walk will take place on Thursday April 11 starting at 6am. This is an hour later than usual (by public demand), but should still be close to dawn as the clocks went forward last weekend. We will meet outside the cafe on Hilly Fields, walk around the park and then go on to Brockley and Ladywell Cemeteries which together are listed as a Grade 1 Site of Borough Importance for nature conservation purposes.

Birds we can expect to hear on Hilly Fields include Blackbird, Robin, Wren and probably one of the Dunnocks which have been vocalising frequently in the last few weeks. In addition, we should hear Magpies chattering, Crows crowing, Blue Tits/Long-tailed Tits tseeping and, almost certainly, that 'Johnny Two Note' - the Great Tit. If we're lucky, we may hear a Mistle Thrush singing (seen but not heard so far this year) or a Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming its bill against a tree trunk.

Full details here.

11 comments:

tamsin said...

Can I enter a demand from one member of the public that another year the time goes an hour earlier? I've really enjoyed the few Dawn Chorus walks I've been on that started at 4pm. You had the wonderful effect of the different species starting up one at a time, really helpful in trying to distinguish them - and a blessed hour without the aeroplanes going overhead (the ash-cloud a couple of years back cleared up a week or so too soon).
5am at One Tree Hill was a retrograde step so far as I was concerned and 6pm would seem to have nothing extra special about it at all.
That said I will still try to get along - still great fun and highly recommended to anyone who hasn't tried it so far.

Canadian Gothic said...

Pending the amount of sleep I get, I may try to join. Not sure where Hilly Fields cafe is. Can anyone tell me the best way to get there coming from Ladywell Road?

NAT said...

Four! You are a nightingale fan Tamsin?

NAT said...

Ladywell Road, Adelaide avenue, Eastern avenue toward Prendegast School, tennis courts to your left. You have arrived at your destination.

Canadian Gothic said...

Thanks, Nat!

Sarah said...

How long does it take? (Need to get to work after)

NAT said...

Only sorry I can't be there. Tom would be a fine conductor.

NAT said...

I don't think you have to stay for the whole production, Sarah. I left during the dunnock on the last occasion I went to one. No one seemed to mind and no, I'm sure the Dunnock least of all.

Canadian Gothic said...

And if spotting 3 new birds plus discovering Hilly Fields and Ladywell/Brockley cemeteries weren't enough, I passed a tree with 10 waxwings at the corner of Vicars and Algiers on the way home. Thanks to all for a most enjoyable morning and to Tom in particular for organising the event!

tamsin said...

Well, actually the four o'clock ones I've been on were later in May so although they started in the dark - and at some bushes were, I think I recall, a load of wrens were just waking up - by the time we'd finished around 6.30 it was full light.
For those that missed this (me among them - I was awake, but felt a bit wimpish about the weather) there's another in One Tree Hill on Saturday 13th.

anon said...

2 goldcrests on my window ledge this a.m.

Brockley Central Label Cloud