John Galliano on SE4: Tea dances and curry sauce

An interview in the latest issue of Grazia magazine with Gibraltar-born fashion designer John Galliano reveals him to be a ex-Brockley boy. Whilst in London for 'work projects' he, or rather his driver, had some curious comments about the Brockley scene:

"My accent has become completely South London again. When I was a kid we moved to SE4. Yesterday we were in Brockley and my driver said, 'Oh it's not what it used to be... tea dances and stuff going on. Big gay influence.'"

Galliano later goes on to comment:

"I don't come back here as much as I'd like. But when I do bring the French team, they are so engergised by it"... "I took them out to eat in SE4 yesterday and they couldn't understand why everything came with curry sauce."

We wonder, where might John and his team have been in SE4 to think that everything comes with curry sauce?

Thanks to Brockley Sarah for the story. Proof that Grazia is worth the weekly outlay.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fishy Business or Cinnamons?

Anonymous said...

Wherever he was, dont suppose anyone recognised him.

TJ(O) said...

Watch for a Brockley inspired collection next Spring/Summer...

Anonymous said...

Aha... I'd heard a rumour that a famous 'Italian' fashion designer had bout a place in Hilly Fields Crescent... I'd dismissed it till this

M said...

From what I've seen of John Galliano he'd stick out like a sore thumb around here!
Obviously I will now be telling people that he has a place in Brockley, hopefully next door to Patrick Baladi and Bernard from Four Weddings.

Anonymous said...

Brockley has always had a large group of Italian descent. There was an Italian count in the big house at the corner of Tressillian Cresc and Tyrwhitt before the War.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't 'Mr Wickham' live on Hilly Fields Cresc?

Tressilliana said...

He did. Haven't seen him around for a while.

According to Wikipedia, John Galliano's family are from Gibraltar.

Anonymous said...

I dont know, Ive seen a lot of colourful dressed people around Brockley.

Tressilliana said...

Proximity to Goldsmith's, Ravensbourne and Camberwell Colleges of Art and Trinity College/Laban mean we do have a lot of creative types in the area. One of the many things I like about living in SE4 as opposed to the deeply boring monochrome suburb I lived in when I was a teenager.

TheOracle said...

Are you sure this isn't a hoax...?
This is what his Myspace page states:

"He was born in Juan Carlos in 1960in Gibraltar, his father’s homeland. His mother is Spanish and he first went to school in Spain, reaching it via Tangiers. "I think all that – the souks, the markets, woven fabrics, the carpets, the smells, the herbs, the Mediterranean colour, is where my love of textiles comes from," Galliano has said. In 1966, the family moved to Streatham in South London, where John’s father worked as a plumber. They then moved to Dulwich, which remains the family home to this day."


myspace.com/johngallianofans+john-galliano+father&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk#ixzz115vOfmlW

Brockley Central Label Cloud

Click one of the labels below to see all posts on that subject. The bigger the label, the more posts there are!